Sunday, February 8, 2009

Addicted to Kristen Cashore


Here's the deal. I am like a crazed Twilight fan for Graceling. It is one of my favorite YA (and adult for that matter since the crossover appeal is limitless) titles of the year, and probably in my top 5 all-time. It's THAT good people. You get love, violence, good vs. evil, and one of the most intriguing and strong female protagonists to come along in years. But the best part is the simplicity of the writing: no overblown descriptions, no gooey makeouts or declarations of love, and no wasted words. Just a beautiful purity of storytelling. So, imagine my delight to arrive at Winter Institute this year and see the wondrous sight of early reader copies of Fire, the Graceling prequel that comes out in October. My partner in YA obsession, Sandra, and I made fools of ourselves as we giggled and jumped around like tweens at a Jonas Brothers show. Of course I devoured it and now can't wait for the next. I've had a good run with sequels lately as this was on the pedestal with Graceling. I actually yelled at my 2 year old daughter to leave me alone so I could finish it (sorry Lily . . . I really am a good parent!) because I was in so deep. Fire (name of the main character as well as the novel . . . sorry it's confusing) is also an amazing female character like Graceling's Katsa: set apart by nature but accepting of herself and what she is capable of without being dramatic or whiny. What's great about Fire is that it tells its story while set in lands only hinted about in Graceling but doesn't feel retread. It was fan-freaking-tastic. While there wasn't really any sort of coming of age and much more of a romantic struggle, this too will only add fuel to the obsession fire for many.
Seriously. Go buy Graceling (from an independent bookstore mind you). Go get it right now and don't stop reading until your eyes hurt. And then in October, go get Fire. Get it for all of the girls you know who feel like they are something "other" while in high school, like they don't belong. No one will be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment