Thursday, February 26, 2009

Heir to Michael Crichton

Well, have no fear, Michael Crichton's legacy is here. Enter Warren Fahy. He has written the equivalent of a love child between James Rollins, Michael Crichton, and Al Gore. I was dismayed when Michael Crichton died, like much of the literary community, because he filled such a unique place with his extreme science thrillers that were all somehow plausible in their craziness. Warren Fahy has proved himself capable of assuming that mantle. His book, Fragment, which pubs in June from Random House, is going to be one of the most talked about debuts of the year, if not the decade. I haven't had this much fun (or this many goosebumps) reading a book about evolutionary science ever. Not since Jurassic Park has having so much information thrown at me not bothered me a bit. In fact, it makes me want to dig out my old zoology and botany books just to feel a little smarter because, frankly, I feel about as smart as a brick after reading this whirlwind ride. I hope upon hope that the movie rights get sold to the correct person because this could be amazing if done well. Groundbreaking even. The best part about the novel is just that overall, the writing isn't all that fantastic, the characters aren't amazingly well developed, and some of them are "stock," but what makes it so good is that you DON'T CARE! All you care about is that they survive and that the good guys win in the end (one word: HENDER . . . it will change your world). That is the mark of a great novelist when the writing can be flawed and it doesn't detract at all from the experience. Bravo Mr. Fahy. You have just made my summer in bookselling because nothing sells books like people excited and I'm ecstatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment