Friday, March 19, 2010

Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

I'm a Stieg Larsson stalker. I got sucked into the Millenium Trilogy when the galleys first came out a couple years ago (maybe even before when I saw the first write-up about the book in PW) and haven't been able to extricate myself in the slightest. I have been waiting and waiting for the ARC of the third book, Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, for months and now, having read it, I can say without a doubt that the world is a lesser place because Stieg Larsson is no longer in it and writing. My only disappointment is that it's over and that the movies aren't available yet in the States.

The first two books in the trilogy, Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Girl Who Played With Fire, were phenomenal, which is rare. Usually the first book is great, the middle is ok, and then the third picks up the slack to finish it off, but never quite captures the mystery and promise of the first. That isn't the case here. Both books are fantastic in their own ways. Although the title of the first book indicates the story is truly about Salander, it is in actuality mostly about Blomkvist by way of Salander. Sure, we get the majority of Salander's background, but it isn't until the second book that we really know what to think of it. Salander truly comes to the forefront and becomes a character that will surely be as classic and iconic as Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird) or Holden (Catcher in the Rye) or Alice (Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass). Her journey is so unique because she is SO unlikable that she just grows on you like moss. Her view is so black and white that when she is forced into the gray reality of today, her reactions and perceptions show us how truly screwed up we are. This objectivity is one of the most beautiful aspects of Larsson's writing. He is like a floodlight subjecting all of the imperfections and indiscretions of society and its' players in the same scorching glare that the good guys willingly bathe in. It's amazing.


Now, I'm not going to ruin Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest with a bunch of spoilers and try to analyze what his big picture point was. All I have to say that is that any story, whether fiction or non, that can keep me laughing, cringing, crying, and cheering simultaneously, is one that I will come back to again and again. I have to point out that I was irritated during the entire reading of it because I wanted to know how it was going to end SO badly that I just couldn't wait, but I was also irritated because I knew that once I found out what happened, then the story would be over. I haven't felt this way since I finished the seventh Harry Potter book and realized that there wasn't any more to the story. Books like that are so good but once they are finished, it's like a death in the family (only you can "visit" by re-reading them). You feel a sense of peace because the story is done, but a huge sense of loss because your forays into the world for the first time are done. Now we are just all seasoned veterans. Which is better?

No comments:

Post a Comment